Home > Uncategorized > You didn’t have to do that, but You did it anyway.

You didn’t have to do that, but You did it anyway.

July 3rd, 2009

Early this morning, I drove over to Chesterfield, Missouri, for a videotaped deposition of a psychologist.  The attorney taking the deposition, who was heading to North Carolina, told me he needed a copy of the video right away, and asked if he would be able to get it Monday morning.

I told him that that should be no problem.  The depo ended around noon, and I knew it would be a bit of a squeeze to have a DVD produced and ready to be FedExed by the end of the day, but I was confident that we could make it.

Fast-forward to the end of the day, around 6:00, when I run out to drop the envelope into a nearby FedEx box.  The typical pick-up time for that box is 7:00 or 7:15, and the green not-yet-picked-up flag was showing on the box to let me know that I had beat the drop-off time, and that it was safe to drop the envelope in the box.

I was just about to let the package go when my eyes happened to fall on a small note posted on the box, saying that there was no pick-up on Friday, July 3rd.

Shocked, I pulled the envelope back and closed the lid.  I immediately called John, and we spend the next half-hour or so on the phone or online with FedEx and UPS, trying to figure out a way to get this overnighted.

“Overnighted” in this instance meant Monday delivery, as they don’t have anything going on Saturday, the 4th of July.  We eventually found a FedEx facility in downtown St. Louis that had an 8:00 pick-up time, so it sounded like our worries were over.

I went ahead and drove on over there, arrived around 7:05, and walked out the door a few minutes later, with the package safely on its way.

It was definitely a relief to have fulfilled our commitment.  It was a bit more involved than we had thought, because we didn’t think that the 3rd would be viewed as a half-day or a holiday.  So when we went on our end-of-the-day run, we were surprised to learn that no FedEx box (or UPS, for that matter) in the area was available at that time.

With this all, what amazes me is the fact that I happened to see that little notice posted on the box.  I had the lid of the box open and was a second away from dropping the envelope into the box when I saw the notice.

I can’t explain how I managed to catch it, but I don’t think I can take credit for it.  I think God must have just brought it to my attention just in the nick of time.  A second later, and I would have dropped it into the box, confidently thinking that it would arrive in North Carolina by Monday morning, when in fact it wouldn’t even leave that box until Monday morning.

I’m so thankful that God kept us from making what would have been an embarrassing mistake.  I just never really considered that the shipping services would take a half-day.  I imagined it would be an all-or-nothing deal; either they do business as usual, or they don’t.

So tonight was one of many examples of just how good God is.  Occasions like this really bring God’s love down to a personal level, where you just want to say, “Wow… thanks so much, God.  You didn’t have to do that, but You did it anyway.”  It just shows how much God cares for us in the most practical ways.

Categories: Uncategorized Tags:
Comments are closed.